Saturday, June 27, 2015

Jurassic World - Average Joe Review

So, on June 27, 2015, I went to the theater to see Jurassic World. And this is my review of the movie.

Before I enter the review itself, lemme just say that I wonder how many people will spot the similarities between this AJR and my last one (technically also my first one). By the way, I wanted to put an emoji in that set of parentheses, but please refer to this web comic for more information on that subject.

First off, this review doesn't contain any spoilers for Jurassic World. So don't fear. HOWEVER comma there may be some spoilers for those who haven't watched the trailer. (^u^) WHOA I came up with that emoji on the spot... my emoji skills have leveled up!

Jurassic World is about the Indominus Rex (dun dun DUUUN!!), a product of gene splicing that scientists at the Jurassic World theme park, uh,.... I'll use the movie's phrasing: "cooked up in that lab" due to the CEO (I think, his accent was kind of annoying, but it wasn't just for comic relief) realizing that kids in the present day no longer were scared by the current dinosaurs at the park and wanting even bigger, scarier, epic-er, bigger dinosaurs. Thus, the Indominus Rex was born. And now you know the premise of the movie... guess what happens next? 

<sidenote> I'm not going to tell you, because some people may consider it a "major spoiler". <sidenote>

Two boys, Zach and Gray, enter the park at the beginning of the movie, given VIP passes because their mother is the sister of Claire Dearing, a main scientist person. The bits with the boys at the beginning were a bit slow, but as the story progressed and the boys interacted with (or rather, ran away from) the dinos, I started to like them. One thing to note is that there was some exposition about the boys' parents getting a divorce, but I think that was to exemplify the boys' characters: the younger one, Gray, is fragile and excited at everything... innocent? I think is the right word. And Zach is pretty much the opposite, with a (sorta) tough attitude towards everything. I feel as though the characters were pretty original, but I'll get to that later.

Owen Grady, a Velociraptor trainer who has a particularly good relationship with the raptors and played by Chris Pratt (excuse me, Starlord) is constantly being approached by Vic Hoskins about how the raptors could be used as weapons in war, but Owen has a definite "No," in response. Alas, Hoskins keeps pushing. The whole concept of two storylines intertwining as a result of one character that bridges the two together, often seen in books, really resonates with me, and here, it's done very well.

The score was ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, and it perfectly complimented the scene. The entire movie kept me on edge, either from sheer nervousness (WHERE IS THAT FREAKING DINOSAUR?!?!?!) or from my admiration for the pure and stunning beauty of the setting of the park. The visuals were absolutely astounding, dinosaurs looking scarily realistic. The Indominus was genuinely frightening, especially when it roared (so basically every single scene it was in). I really appreciate how the movie made me scared WITHOUT using stupid jumpscares, even though it wasn't even a horror movie. I felt as though I was there with the characters in the park... pretty awesome CG!

Everything culminates into ONE HUGE FINALE at the end (no duh, would it be at the beginning?) which I won't spoil in this. Needless to say, it was EPIC!!!!!! A Mon Avis, though, the film could've easily done without the second-to-last scene, and just ended at the very end of the huge battle. I understand that some people might've hated the lack of closure, but each to his (or her) own opinion. Chris Pratt's character is a TOTAL BAWS at the end (and throughout the movie as well). I definitely enjoyed seeing the chemistry between the brothers develop, as before, they weren't too close. I could see the characters grow throughout the movie, which is (almost) always important, to me at least.

I give Jurassic World a 4.8/5, the .2 knocked off for the (kinda sorta) boring exposition at the beginning. It was a worthy addition to the Jurassic Park franchise. The sheer wonder of it all, the scary dinos, the beauty of the island, and the intensity and pace of the plot progression all culminated into one of my favorite movies, probably ever!

--PRANAV

No comments:

Post a Comment